Sunday 20 January 2013

Tearing up the pavement (literally)

Distance this week 16 miles. Long run 6 miles (approx 55 mins in the snow!)

So the snow finally arrived. I've always used it as a convenient excuse not to leave the house in the past but with my new found determination to stick to the training schedule I ventured out a few times this week.
Wednesday evening at Hemlington lake was probably the coldest but a few steady laps soon warmed me up. Your legs work harder in the snow, particularly where it's deep or icy underneath so the distances are only a small measure of the work done. I managed a 10k run today around the Middlesbrough route without stopping, although the middle few kilometres were tough. I had some of those rubber/metal winter tread things on my trainers which helped with getting a grip but I kept clipping my ankle with a metal section which was no fun. I've also had a bit of joint pain in my left hip joint since last week but, hopefully this is just my body getting used to working again.
Off to London for a few days next week with my college students to watch some Musicals! A few of our ex-students are in lead roles in West End shows (Ross Hunter in Rock of Ages, Matthew Dale in Billy Elliot) so it's nice to go and see them do their thing at the top of the tree as it were.
Not much in the way of musicals on my iPod though so the chances of it popping up on the shuffle is slim although I do get the occasional blast of Sweet Charity, Jesus Christ Superstar and others through them being on odd playlists I've created.

The shuffle was on good form today (I still need to rip a load of new stuff onto it). Only a few skips needed and I came in sprinting to Nick Drake's River Man which was a bit of a juxtaposition but worked fine. I've starred the songs/artists that may make it onto the final playlist mostly for my own reference.



Bizarre Love Triangle - New Order*
Theme from Return of The Saint - The Saint Orchestra*
A Real Mother For Ya - Johnny "Guitar" Watson (surely originally entitled A Real Mother fucker???)
I Dig Love - George Harrison
Fancy - The Kinks
Completely Sweet - Eddie Cochran
Diamonds - Mercury Rev (I was genuinely thinking about this band and then it came on next. Spooky eh?)
Butterfly House - The Coral*
Sweet Blindness - Laura Nyro* (I really need to listen to more of her. It's great.)
Marley Purt Drive - Jose Feliciano* (got me thinking about golden eras of music this track - even "unhip" artists like Jose and Andy Williams etc made some cracking records back in the late 60s. Jose's debut album "Feliciano" is just brilliant by anyone's standards)
Poor Cow - Donovan
France - Intastella (from their great debut album.)
Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds - Beatles
A Boy Named Sue - Johnny Cash* (story songs may be the way forward for the actual marathon)
River Man - Nick Drake






No comments:

Post a Comment